Tuesday, March 24, 2009

In Praise of Homemade English Muffins



Friends are the most important ingredient in the recipe of life
.-
Dior Yamaski

I was not the most energetic of people Monday morning. I went to the doctor last Wednesday morning for my regular check-up, and by Wednesday night I had the beginning of a head cold. The weekend was a total washout. I just moped around the house with my scratchy throat and bulging sinuses. But Monday morning, it was back to work, bringing with me a cough that just couldn't seem to resolve itself. My husband brought me cherry Ricola's which did help to relieve the urge to bark into everyone's face. And the Germ-ex bottle was a necessity for good customer relations. But more importantly, Linda Jean appeared. Linda Jean-one of my dearest friends of whom I just don't see enough. We have been friends for over 50 years. Having a friendship of over fifty years would qualify us as old by other people's standards, but to us we are the same little girls that we always were-laughing, teasing, sharing, and chattering non-stop whenever we get the opportunity.
Linda Jean-one of the best cooks whose food I have had the pleasure to partake. Linda Jean-the marriage saver. Yes, that's right, the marriage saver. Meals this weekend were not of the gourmet variety. We didn't even get to go out to eat for our usual Friday night date. Enter Linda Jean-the baker of a half dozen of the most delectable, light, perfect homemade English muffins that anyone could sock a tooth. There was real food on the table last night! And we took her suggestion and had hot tomato soup along with the muffins and grilled spicy mini burgers. Um-um-good!
It's 10:00 in the morning, and I don't work on Tuesdays. But guess what? I'm having one the last of those homemade English muffins spread with melted butter for my mid morning snack. My cold feels so much better now. Thanks, Linda Jean! Friends are God's way of taking care of us.

No comments: