Tuesday, October 20, 2009

And The Secret Ingredient Is...

It's Foodie Friday on this October morn. When the weather gets cool and damp, I like to sit by the fire with a bowl of chili. What makes this chili a little different from the rest-SALSA! Just add a jar of your favorite salsa-mild, medium, or hot- to your recipe to give it a little zing. Here is the recipe that I use the most:
1 pound ground chuck
1 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
2 16 ounce cans red kidney beans
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried mustard
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 beef bouillon cube
1 jar salsa

In a Dutch oven, cook meat with onion and green pepper until the ground chuck is cooked and the veggies are tender. Stir in the tomatoes, salsa, beans,and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Makes 6-8 servings.

Join Michael at Designs By Gollum for more Foodie Friday fun!

19 comments:

Allison Shops said...

We've never used salsa in chili. Will tell DH. He loves salsa. Me, not so much. Maybe in chili though. Thanks for sharing.

Joyce said...

Nothing like a big pot of chili on a cold day to warm you. It looks delicious.
Joyce

Unknown said...

GREAT!!! cold weather recipe with a KICK!!!
Geri

The Fajdich Times said...

Never thought of adding salsa. I will have to add it next time I make chili:)

bj said...

We love chili, and will add some to our next pot..Thanks

Haden News said...

What a great recipe ~ I love Chili and your salsa idea sounds great! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Unknown said...

Your chili looks fantastic! Thanks for the little "Salsa" tip!
Have a wonderful week end!
~Really Rainey~

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

It's getting that time of year when chili should be on the menu.

honeysuckle said...

This is a great idea to use salsa! I am going to try it without the bean though. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Come join my first ever giveaway today!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Joan, this looks and sounds delicious. I really do appreciate the salsa tip. Our "chili" weather has just begun here in Oregon, so your post is very timely.

Unknown said...

Look very, very YUM!!

Blessings!
Gail

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Your chili looks inviting. Love the tablecloth.

annies home said...

have a good friend that uses salsa in their chilli and I just heard about this from them I think I will try it next time
shopannies@yahoo.com

Sue said...

We love chili and I've never tried adding salsa. Thanks for the great tip!

Sue

Sue said...

Hi Joan, This is just to ironic- I was cooking some ground beef while blog hopping, and guess what I'm going to do with it?
Make your chili recipe! I have all the ingredients, so I'll get started on it as soon as I finish viewing your blog a little more. Thanks for stopping by for a visit. Hope you won't be a stranger.
:-) Sue

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

It's chili weather and this looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

Sounds yummy! Thinking chili for these chilly days!
~Nancy

The Old Parsonage said...

Sounds great and I'm sure that it adds just the right kick!!!

Leann

Beth C said...

Joan,
loved the chili recipe! I fixed it tonight and it was great! will be using it from now on!
love, Beth