Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Blue Quilt for a Blue Monday

Time to air out the quilts on this Blue Monday morning. This one has been in the spare room for much too long. The fold lines are much too evident. My MIL and I both collected quilts. This was one of hers. I think it is a variation of the Rose of Sharon pattern probably made somewhere between the 1920's to 40's. If someone knows the correct identification of it, please let me know.


This is a great day to hang out the quilt-a gentle breeze and subdued sunshine.


This is one white center piece with 20 appliqued flowers. The applique work is quite impressive with about 10-12 stitches per inch. You can see an overall quilt design as well on the white background.


These are two of my favorite colors-blue and green. In fact, we used blue and green as our wedding colors 38 years ago. If I had known then that my MIL had this quilt, I would have tried to use it some way in the wedding decor.

A paler shade of blue...

juxtaposed against a darker flower.

It can rest at the foot of the bed...

become a tablecloth for a future tablescape...

make a great tablecloth for a romantic picnic...

or display on a quilt stand.

Have a wonderful Blue Monday. Visit Smiling Sally to view more participants.

7 comments:

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Beautiful quilt! I love each way you've displayed it.

Unknown said...

Beautiful quilt!!! I loaded your link, come by and visit my blog. THANKS!!! Geri

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Joan, that is a wonderful quilt! I adore the design and the colors. I like to use quilts for tables and just to stack in a cupboard and admire. I have bought most of mine over the years, but I do have one that Mr. Magpie's grandmother made. My grandmother's quilt was washed so many times it finally fell apart. I wish my mother had saved it because I could have had little stuffed animals made from the good parts of it. It had been made from all of her sister's dresses.

You are blessed to have one that pretty. It's just perfect for Blue Monday. Hope yours is happy!

XO,

Sheila ;-)

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a gorgeous quilt. Thanks for sharing the photos of it with us. Have a wonderful day.

Cindy said...

Lovely quilt, and your uses for it.
Cindy

Coloradolady said...

This is just beautiful. I love the blues and the flowers. Lovely in every way!

Barnyard Country Gifts said...

This is a beautiful quilt you have. love the colors of the flowers.
Have a nice blue monday, Annemieke