Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Metamorphosis in the Making-A Visit To Rachel's Quilt Patch

It's Metamorphosis Monday, and mine is in the making-literally. On Friday, Valerie of Snap Peas and I went to The Depot for my birthday lunch.
After lunch, we walked over to Rachel's Quilt Patch, a most delightful place to visit, look at fabric, and order dinner napkins for Tablescape Thursdays.

Rachel soon opened her shop when The Wharf area of our town was renovated in the late 1980's-early 90's. Many of the fixtures are not original with the building, but are indicative of the era.
A cashier's counter and bookkeeper's window from a tobacco warehouse in North Carolina...


















The resident cat of 14 years is a local celebrity...
Lots of quilting fabric to see..all colors and prints...
and so many choices for beautiful, soft dinner napkins...
Wall art and quilts by Rachel and her students...

Here, Rachel is cutting fabric...A large work area with lots of activity and people browsing...
So, on Saturday, I arrive with dishes in hand to pick out fabric for new napkins. You can see my reflection in the door clutching my dishes in one hand and taking pictures with the other...
an Azalea Trail green for my Lenox Winter Greetings...
a colorful stripe for a whimsical set of plates and soup mugs...
and amazingly, Valerie picked out this fabric to go with my Bittersweet dishes sight unseen! That girl, she has a fabulous sense of color!
While Rachel morphs my fabric into napkins, I plan how to use the results in tablescapes!.
Please stop by Between Naps on the Porch hosted by Susan to visit more Metamorphosis Monday fun.

15 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Hi, Joan... I love the fabrics you all picked out, and what a cute shop! Wish we had one like that here.

You and I have the same china. Don't you just LOVE Winter Greetings? It makes my heart happy! C-U-T-E. I like the red birds and the little chickadees best. Can't wait to see your napkins.

Happy Met Monday...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Kammy said...

Very nice quilt shop ! I quilt and I know that the quilt shops have the nicest assortment and quality ! Also when you get into quilting you get a good eye on coordinating different colors and patterns ....thanks for sharing !
Kammy

nannykim at spindle cottage said...

This was such an interesting post--loved looking at the store and your reflection in the door!! Nice choices in the napkins--really great!

Rebekah@Red's Nest said...

I love visiting quilt shops. What a great idea to coordinate your dishes and napkins. Can't wait to see them on your table.

Anonymous said...

We used to have a sweet quilt shop like this but they closed down last summer- so sad- hard to find fabrics and things now-

Phyllis @Around the House said...

great fabric choices, what a wonderful store..

Paula@SweetPea said...

I love going to Rachel's but it's been a while since I was there. I get her newsletter and she offers so many classes that sound interesting. Great place to spend a birthday!

susan said...

What a fun outing for your birthday! This shop has the cutest fabrics and you have picked great ones to go with your china. Love the Winter Greetings!

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

Nice! I love seeing the quilts hanging among the beams!

Moore Minutes said...

What a delightful place! How fun it would be to visit there. Thank you for sharing the fun photos.

Happy Met Monday!
http://www.mooreminutes.com/2009/10/walls-wrapped-in-charm.html

Nancy said...

What a fun day! How nice to have a friend who can pick out fabric so well for you, and stitch it up into napkins.

Anonymous said...

what a great quilt shop!!!
Have fun sewing up those napkins!

I have a linky party and a plea for help @ my place: http://theshadesofpink.blogspot.com/2009/10/room-month-bedroom-conundrum.html Want to check it out? (I apologize if you already linked, 1/2 asleep. LOL)

Tardevil said...

What a cool store. Love those Santa plates! Hope your napkins turn out well!

Julie said...

Hi Joan, Very nice quilt shop ... Looks like a fun day...
xoxo
Julie

joyh82 said...

Wow lovely fabrics, I love that amish quilt that was hanging up.
The kitty in the basket is cute too.