Sunday, March 21, 2010

Vintage Alphabet Party

It's time for the Vintage Alphabet Party.  This month we are doing letters C and D.

With Easter around the corner, all eyes turn to candy so my letter C is for Candy containers.  At the turn of the twentieth century, candy makers used glass toys in various shapes as containers for their pellet-like candy.  These are in demand by collectors.  Candy containers with original paint, candy, and closures command a high price. 
Candy containers served to outline American history, particularly transportation. This horse and cart is pretty common...
  This container depicts the WW II  Jeep...
The paper label on the bottom shows the candy ingredients and factory location-Jeanette, Pennsylvania...
A speed boat...
An army bomber with original decal on the front...
This coupe reminds me of one of our family cars...
A little locomotive with a tin closure...
A hen with a tin slide bottom...
My parents had this bulldog for years. I had no idea what it was..
A clock with a tin closure...
The bottom of a lantern with the ingredients and factory location imprinted in the glass...
My very favorite-a Santa figure with a tin closure...

And now for the letter D.   Applejack Lane has gone to the dogs...

An antique doorstop...

An old calendar picture now framed...

An ABC bowl and mug...

A German lead dog figure...

A refurbished brass lamp...

A sassy little terrier...

Mama and her pups...
A cute little pair...

A picture of my dad with his dogs from the 1930's...

Thanks for stopping by Applejack Lane
Thanks to Melody at Etsy Cottage Style for hosting this party.

11 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I love the glass candy holders. My mom use to have a couple of these. Wonder what ever happened to them. You have such a wonderful collection. They are all so cute. Your dog collection is wonderful too. Love the doorstop.
Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a gracious comment on my table refinishing. Yes, to answer your question, I did stain the top of the table after I sanded it down. I used minwax dark walnut and with 3 coats I got it to match my chairs and the legs and apron of the table. Then I did 6 topcoats of minwax poly. It turned out really well. Not hard, just time consuming and I did follow the directions to a tee. Thanks again Hugs, Marty

Unknown said...

Hi Joan. Glad you could join us for the Party. Your 'C'andy container collection is yummy! Your 'D'og-gone table makes one sit up and take notice. What a lovely memory with your Dad and his dogs. Greas minds.....I am doing the blog for our flower shop, Flower Press From A&J's, to showcase our vintage 'C'andy boxes...it should be up tomorrow. Hope you can stop by there and at mine. See ya there.

Sheila said...

I have never seen or i guess i should have said I have never noticed the candy containers before. I may have thought they were empty purfume bottles.. I had a great history lesson today.. thank you .. Loved your dog post too.

Debbi said...

amazing collection! I didnt even know they made candy containers like that!

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Those were two marvelous collections! The candy containers are so unique and unexpected!
♥, Susan

Char said...

What a great collection of candy containers, and all in one place. I don't think I have seen all of those, but I do remember a few of them. Thanks so much for sharing them with us. I love the dogs too, Char

Chris said...

Wonderful collections!! Many of your pieces I have never seen before. Absolutely loved the little dog figures. Just delightful!

deb said...

Your collection of candy containers is amazing! I've never seen anything like them before. Very cool!
Love all the doggies too, especially the doorstop
*hugs*deb

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Wow! What a fabulous candy container collection! And I love all of your pretty pooches. :-)

Kimberly

Shirley said...

Your wonderful candy container collection brought back so many wonderful memories. We had some of those while I was growing up, but I don't have a clue as to what happen to them I liked the dog collection to.

Sarah said...

Your candy container collection is such fun. Isn't it a shame that items are no longer packaged as charmingly and creatively as they once were. Makes me wish I had saved some of these from my own childhood. My mother was not into keeping things around as much as I would have wished for. LOL
Or lets just say, her idea of what to keep was different from my own views.