Thursday, January 21, 2010

My Experimental Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup


Last Saturday night at Applejack Lane, I had a yen for some warm soup.  So, I searched the cabinets for some ingredients.  Alas, I came up with three-canned crushed tomatoes, a jar of roasted red peppers, and beef broth.  So I thought I would try a roasted red pepper and tomato soup.  Granted fresh ingredients would have been best, but I had to use what was handy. Plus, I was winging it as far as what to do and what ingredients to add to the pot.

Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup the Applejack Lane Way

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion,chopped
1 tablespoon McCormicks Roasted Garlic Blend
1 12 ounce jar roasted red peppers, chopped into very small pieces
1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes with basil
1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 14.5 ounce can beef broth
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 to 2 dashes of  Tabasco sauce
salt and pepper to taste
parsley flakes for garnish, optional

Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven..  Add the chopped onion, and saute until the onion becomes transparent.   Stir in the garlic blend.  Add the finely chopped peppers to the onion and garlic mixture and cook for five minutes.  Add the crushed tomatoes, beef broth, bay leaf, brown sugar, thyme, Tabasco, and salt and pepper.  Simmer for about 30 minutes.  Remove bay leaf.  Puree the soup if desired before serving.  Garnish with parsley flakes.

*This is not a Top Chef recipe, but it worked for the two of us.  I have since read some published recipes that uses chicken or vegetable broth instead of beef broth and added cream or sour cream for a different texture.  Pureeing the soup would create a smooth texture, but we enjoyed the bits of red pepper.

Thanks for stopping by.  Join Designs by Gollum for more Foodie Friday fun.

14 comments:

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

The combination of ingredients sound wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Looks and sounds delish!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Oooh, I have a jar of roasted peppers just waiting to be turned into this soup.

:)
ButterYum

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

PS - I'm in the Shen Valley too.

Signing Out said...

I never thought of this. It sounds delicious! I'll have to try it.

Jane

Rattlebridge Farm said...

Your experiment was a success! The soup looks out of this world good. I hope Bandwidth makes this, and soon. P.S. I LOVE your darling snowflake bowl.

Tyler said...

I will have to try this :)

a quiet life said...

it looks so cute!

Paula@SweetPea said...

I am definitely going to try this. I love Trader Joe's Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato soup and can't get there very often to stock up. With this recipe, I can make my own!

Pam said...

Looks and sounds great!

Bonnie said...

Joan, thank you for stopping at my blog today! So sweet of you. I hope your workout went well! This soup looks wonderful. My "regular" blog is www.theboatwrightfamily.blogspot.com. Join me there as well.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Looks and sounds soooo yummy! Hope you have a FUN weekend!

Blessings,
Linda

Mary Bergfeld said...

It looks wonderful to me as well, Lina. I hope you are having a great Foodie Friday.

Unknown said...

Looks WONDERFUL!!! and I LOVE!!! the combination.
Come by and so you can enter my giveaway.
Geri