Thursday, December 3, 2009

Gingerbread Scones


It's Foodie Friday with Michael at Designs by Gollum.  Earlier this week, I  had a Gingerbread Tea Party at Applejack Lane.  (Scroll down my blog to see pictures of the event.)  One of the sweets and savories served were Gingerbread Scones. The recipe came from  the 1998 Taste of Home Annual Recipes.  Enjoy.

2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ginger
1.2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup cold butter
1/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup milk
1 egg, separated
sugar

In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, ginger, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.  Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs.  In a small bowl, combine the molasses, milk, and egg yolk until smooth; stir into the flour mixture just until moistened.  Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently 6-8 times.   Pat into a 8 inch circle.  Cut into 12 wedges and place 1 inch apart on a greased baking sheet*. Beat egg white until frothy; brush over scones.  Sprinkle with sugar.  Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes our until golden brown.  Serve warm.

*  I like a more petite scone.  I divide the dough into two equal parts and form smaller circles about 5 inches in diameter.  Then I cut the circle into 6 wedges.  I bake these for about 11-12 minutes.

Visit Designs By Gollum for more Foodie Friday fun.

4 comments:

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

What a wonderful recipe. Thanks for sharing it!

:)
ButterYum

Joyce said...

Now this is a new spin on gingerbread for me to try. Thanks for sharing.

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a lovely treat for the holiday. I always enjoy something new.

Unknown said...

This looks like a win-win recipe for me. I love both scones and gingerbread :)

Thanks for sharing!

Christmas Blessings!
Gail