Friday, November 20, 2009

Spicy Sausage and Pepper Rotini

For Foodie Friday, I offer a recipe that becomes part of the winter meal rotation at our house.  It is quick, satisfying, and just plain good.  It is called Spicy Sausage and Pepper Rotini. 
 

1 16 ounce. box rotini pasta-I like the tricolor
1 pound of Italian sausage-mild or hot according to your taste
1 green pepper cut into thin strips
1 red pepper cut into thin strips
1 small onion, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
5 plum tomatoes, chopped or substitute a 14 1/2 ounce can of petite dice tomatoes
3/4 cup beef broth
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons dried parsley

Prepare the pasta according to package direction.  Drain and set aside.
Remove casings from the sausage, crumble, and brown  in a large skillet.  Remove from the skillet and wipe clean.
Saute peppers and onion in hot olive oil.
Stir in broth, tomatoes, and sausage.
Simmer on low for about 20 minutes or until the tomatoes are tender and mixture thickens.
Remove from heat.  Add the cooked pasta to the tomato mixture.
Toss.
Sprinkle with grated cheese and sprinkle with parsley.

I like to serve this in a bowl because there will still be a broth.

Please come back to Applejack Lane again.  Now visit Michael at Designs by Gollum for more Foodie Friday fun.

5 comments:

The Old Parsonage said...

Mmm... I could eat that right now, and I haven't even had breakfast yet!

Warm and yummy for a cold day!

Leann

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Ohh Joan...
Honey you are a woman after my own heart. Not only does it look good, and I am sure it tastes good, but sweetie it won't take long to make. Just a few easy steps, and not that many ingredients to have a wonderful meal. This one is going in the recipe box.

Thank you so much for sharing. When you work 10+ hr days all week, you are so tired at night, and I look for quick and great. You have given me both.

Have a beautiful weekend. Stop by and say hi. I love to have the company. Country hugs...Sherry

Unknown said...

I love a GREAT!!! pasta dishes and this has a lot of my favorites on it.
Geri

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks perfect for a blustery fall day. My family would love this. have a wonderful holiday.

Paula@SweetPea said...

Hi there! The place where I like to buy meat is called "The Meating Place." Mama and I found the Santa boots in a shop downtown, I can't remember the name, it's beside a funky dress shop. The other things were in a shop down in a basement between East Beverly and the parking area at the bottom of the hill. The house that my mom is fixing up is in Waynesboro. I grew up in Afton and have been coming to your area my whole life. My husband and I used to do a lot of bike riding and rode our bikes all over the place in your area. I'll have to drop into your store the next time I'm in your area to say hello!! (I live in Lynchburg now.)

Paula