Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Outdoor Wednesday


Today is Outdoor Wednesday, and I've started doings some gardening chores the past week here at Applejack Lane.
I've hung my new house flag...
and have started to access the winter damage in the gardens and yard.  We've had a very severe winter here in the Shenandoah Valley and some of my plants don't look so hot.  
Can this plant be saved???
My lavender plant is just completely flattened. Piles of snow buried  for about three months this winter.

Enter plant guru Andre' Viette into the picture.  Andre' is a nationally acclaimed horticulturist, author, lecturer, and radio personality who lives in the area . 
He has a weekly radio show on Saturday mornings called In the Garden in which he fields questions from a call-in audience about problems with gardens and landscape plants.  He and his son Mark are just exceptionally personable and knowledgeable. At least once a week other than Saturdays, he or Mark make themselves available to radio listeners in the area to further answer gardening questions.  That's where my lavender plant came in.  He suggested that I cut my plant back to about eight inches now and wait to see what happened. He thought it would resurrect itself.

To learn more about Andre' Viette, click here. You can sign up for a monthy e-newsletter that helps you organize monthly gardening chores, learn about new plants, lectures, and activities at the Viette nursery.  He operates a fabulous wine and daylily festival

Thanks for stopping by Applejack Lane.  Pray for my lavender plant.  It went through quite an amputation today. 





4 comments:

Paula@SweetPea said...

I love listening to Andre on Saturday mornings and I also love going to his farm. You're lucky that you got to ask Andre in person your plant question for advice. Aren't you glad that it is finally spring and that the snow finally melted???

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Hope your lavender makes it! It has been a miserable Winter!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Hi Joan, We also had a harsh winter. I was just out in my herb garden on Sunday and my poor lavender plant is in bad shape too. I'm just going to let it be and take a wait and see attitude. Thank you for your post about Andre'. I love to listen to him. Isn't he so respectful and full of practical knowledgd? I love your flag. It is very cheery!
Well, I'm hoping for spring right along with you!
Yvonne

Shirley said...

I hope that your lavender plant makes it and I really like your new flag it is so bright and cheerful. Take care.