Saturday, January 19, 2013

Sweet Corn Muffins

When I was a kid, I hated cornbread.  It just tasted blah.  Enter my friend Valerie with a birthday present.
A cast iron muffin pan...
With the muffin pan, she was obligated to give me a recipe for corn muffins that I would find delicious.  She did, and it was.  Here it is...

Sweet Corn Muffins*
1 cups flour
1/2  cup corn meal
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
2/3 cup sugar
4 large eggs
2 T. honey
12 T. melted butter

Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.  
In a larger bowl, combine the sugar and eggs, mixing well.
Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture, blending well.
Add the honey and melted butter.
Let sit in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
Spoon into an iron pan and bake until golden brown about 10 minutes.
May add green chilies, bacon, or cheddar cheese to give a variety of flavors.
Makes about 12 small muffins.


*This is the perfect recipe to half.  I cut back on the amount of sugar and butter.  Also, we were in a rush to eat so I did not refrigerate for 4 hours. 
On a cold night with a hot bowl of soup, what could be better?
 Until next time...
Joan from Applejack Lane

1 comment:

Little Penpen said...

What a cute little cornbread pan. I've never been a big fan either, but this recipe sounds so good! Love the little fishies!