Saturday, August 13, 2011

Yes, I Can!

It's been a while since I have posted from Applejack Lane.  I've been a little busy.  Our little garden (12' by 12') has been rendering a lot of produce for us. I have been spending some time doing a little canning so as to save our bounty as best as possible.  I have not canned in years.  In fact, I had given away most of my good canning jars to the church yard sale. but I hung on to a few basic implements.  So far, the pantry  now contains 13 quarts of tomatoes, 4 pints of salsa, 4 pints of peach halves, and this morning I made 5 pints peach salsa.  I just had to take a picture of my beautiful peach salsa!  And it is g-o-o-d!
Peach Salsa
2/3 cup cider vinegar
6 cups of peaches, diced*
1 cup red onions, diced
4 jalapeno peppers, finely diced
1 1/3 cup other peppers, diced
6 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 cloves of  garlic, minced
4 t. lime juice
1 1/2-2 t. cumin
1/2 t. kosher salt
1/8 t. cayenne pepper
4 t. honey (or less)
Combine all ingredients in a large pot and simmer for 15 minutes.  Cool for 15minutes.  Pour into pint jars and seal.  Process in a water bath for 15 minutes.  Makes about 5 pints.

*When preparing the peaches, dip peaches in boiling water; then submerge in cold water to peel the skin and seed.  Place peaches in absorbic acid to prevent browning until ready to use.




10 comments:

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Hi Joan,
was it that, what Mr. Obama meant with: "Yes, we can"? Nice recipe, I will try it. And what to eat with that?
Best greetings, Johanna

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

You have been busy, and I know when everything is out of season, you'll enjoy all that you've canned! Your peace salsa looks great! I never thought I'd like it until someone gave me some last year, it was delicious!!

I hope you're having a good weekend!

Paula@SweetPea said...

Isn't it great to know that you'll have all of this garden goodness to enjoy this summer? I've yet to can anything but I've made four batches of spaghetti sauce for the freezer. We've eaten mostly garden meals for the past two weeks, too.

Lynn said...

Your salsa looks beautiful! Sounds like you've been busy-enjoy:@)

The Old Parsonage said...

Hi Joan

Looks wonderful! And worth all the effort - good for you.

I used to can everything and make it all from scratch, until I started working,

Leann

Snap said...

Joan,

You have been busy! It's been years since I've don any canning and i hear it calling my name ... especially when I read a post like yours that makes my mouth water! Have a delightful week!

The Tablescaper said...

You have been busy!!!! Your peach salsa sounds wonderful. Thanks for bringing it to Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

The Charm of Home said...

This looks delicious! I just tried a mango salsa this weekend and I loved it. This sounds so good. I will have to try it. Thanks for stopping by!
Sherry

KDinOK said...

I think I am going to have to try this. I will say that our produce sucked this year with this drought. Oh well, c'est la vie!

The Old Parsonage said...

Just stopping by to see what you've been up to - hope all is well?

Leann