Saturday, October 9, 2010

Soup For Autumn Sundays

In the Autumn, cool weather means soup is a great meal for Sunday evenings at  Applejack Lane. I found this recipe in  Christmas with Southern Living 2001 and have wanted to try this recipe for some time.
Black-Eyed Pea and Sausage Soup
1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 carrots, coarsely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
2 (15 oz.) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
3 (14 1/2 oz.) cans beef broth
1 (14 1/2 oz). can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, undrained
1 (16 oz.) jar chipotle-flavored salsa*
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Cook sausage in oil in a large Dutch oven, stirring until it browns.  Remove sausage, reserving drippings in pan.  Add onion, carrots, bell pepper, garlic, and celery.  Saute' over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  Stir in sausage, peas, broth, and tomatoes.  Bring to a boil.  Cover;  reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes.  Stir in salsa, salt, and pepper.  Simmer 10 more minutes.  Yield 10 cups.

*If desired, a milder salsa can be substituted.

8 comments:

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

I love soups -- this sounds delightful -- what did you think?

Brenda Pruitt said...

Sounds delicious! I've always loved black-eyed peas.
Brenda

The Tablescaper said...

It must have been a soup weekend! I had a soup and salad party - something I've got to blog about.

Thanks so much for being a part of Seasonal Sundays. Sorry I'm so late getting around to everyone, but it was a VERY busy weekend.

- The Tablescaper

Judy@cutest-little-things.blogspot.com said...

I think my husband would LOVE this!

Thanks!

Judy@cutest-little-things

HollyC said...

Happy Foodie Friday!! This soup looks wonderful. I know my husband would love this. Thanks for sharing.
~Holly

Anonymous said...

I love blackeyed peas, and my husband loves sausage so this looks like a winner for us!

Dreamgoddess said...

I've made a recipe similar to this one before, but it didn't have salsa in it. I bet adding in the salsa really gives it a kick. I'm adding this one to my recipes to try.

The Old Parsonage said...

Mmm...sounds warm and cozy. Is it really spicy?

Yumm-o

Leann